skip navigation

A&M Plays Hard in Colorado, but Comes Out Winless

By Aggie Hockey News, 01/16/19, 3:15PM CST


The Texas A&M Aggies continued their season-long road trip over a 4-day span in the Denver area as they would play three games in three days. They began the swing through The Centennial State with a game in Fort Collins to take on the Colorado State Rams. The Rams came out fast at the Aggies, who were playing in their third game in four days, and took an early 2-0 lead. This woke up the A&M offense, as they would tie the game before the end of the period with a power play goal from sophomore Jaren Panick and another with 2.7 seconds remaining from freshman Adam Pipe. In the second, both teams would add one to their total as a quick Rams goal was answered by Aggie senior Garrett Finn. Both teams would go scoreless in the third, due in part to a strong goaltending performance from sophomore Brydon Gillilan. The stalemate would shift to overtime where Colorado State would use their speed in the 4-on-4 period to score on the breakaway and take the game.


In the second game in Colorado, Greeley would play host to A&M and the University of Northern Colorado Bears, who are coming off a trip to the ACHA Division II National Tournament and are currently ranked #2 in the West Region. UNC would open the scoring on a breakaway that sneaked through freshman Joseph Reynolds and crutched across the goal line. It wasn’t long after when junior Huston Svondrk would find a rebound off a Pipe shot to tie the game at 1 for the rest of the period. In the second, A&M would take their first lead in 2019 as Pipe and Svondrk combined for a goal on a 2-on-1. Penalties would then plague the Aggies as the Bears scored twice in 20 seconds to gain their first lead of the contest. UNC would add two insurance goals before the buzzer to take a three-goal lead into the dressing room. After a long intermission due to a breakdown in the Greeley Ice Haus Zamboni that lead to a partial melting of the ice surface and a 20-minute delay, the Aggies came out and showed that they took full advantage of the extra-long break to regain their legs. UNC would score short-handed in the early going, but three goals in seven minutes from junior Brandon Steele and seniors Gary Russell and Finn would catch the Bears by surprise and bring A&M within one. There would be chances for an equalizer, but a quick goalie change by UNC after the last Aggie goal helped them to lock down the game. Reynolds had another outstanding outing in net.


For the final game of the season-long trip for the Ags, they faced off with the Metro State University Roadrunners, who were playing in their first game of 2019. In the first, A&M would fight hard to gain a 1-0 lead on yet another perfect shot from Russell to lead going into the break. After the intermission, the injuries and fatigue the Aggies had picked up along the road trip began to show as the Roadrunners would put two quick goals past Gillilan to take the lead. Pipe would score a power play goal on a rocket from the blue line, but it would be all that A&M could muster offensively, as the Roadrunners would add another to take the lead into the second intermission and score twice more in the third period to end the game, 5-2.

Texas A&M will now return to the friendly confines of the Lone Star State to take on Texas State University next weekend, with the Friday tilt taking place in Austin at The Pond and a Saturday match-up in College Station. The Aggies have a 12-game winning streak on the line against the Bobcats and will look to get back to winning ways against their TCHC South Division foe.